Methi pulao is a one pot nutritious meal with the goodness of fenugreek leaves and mix vegetables.
INGREDIENTS (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 cup basmati rice, 200 grams
- 2 cups methi leaves/fenugreek leaves, 80 grams, finely chopped
- ¾ cup chopped mix vegetables
- 1 medium to large onion, sliced or ½ cup thinly sliced onions
- ½ inch ginger/adrak + 3 to 4 garlic/lahsun + 2 to 3 green chilies, crushed to a paste in mortar-pestle
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ½ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder/dhania powder
- 2 cups water
- 2 to 3 tbsp oil
- salt as required
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 black cardamom/badi elachi
- 2 green cardamoms/chotti elachi
- 1 inch cinnamon/dal chini
- 3 to 4 cloves/lavang
- 1 or 2 single strand of mace/javitri (optional)
- rinse 1 cup basmati rice (200 grams) in water first very well. then soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes. after 30 minutes drain the rice and keep aside.
- when the rice is soaking, rinse and chop the methi leaves and other veggies. crush (1/2 inch ginger, 3 to 4 garlic + 2 to 3 green chilies) in a mortar-pestle. you can also grind them in a small chutney grinder.
- heat 2 to 3 tbsp oil in a pressure cooker and saute the following spices till fragrant – ½ tsp cumin seeds, 1 black cardamom, 2 green cardamoms, 1 inch cinnamon, 3 to 4 cloves and 1 or 2 single strand of mace (optional).
- then add ½ cup thinly sliced onions. stir often and saute the onions till they start turning golden.
- then add the crushed ginger+garlic+green chilli paste. stir and saute till the raw aroma of ginger and garlic goes away.
- now add the finely chopped methi leaves. about 2 cups of methi leaves which have been finely chopped. stir and saute for 3 to 4 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- then add ¾ cup chopped mix vegetables and stir well. you can add veggies of your choice.
- add ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp red chili powder and ½ tsp coriander powder. stir very well again.
- add the soaked basmati rice. stir and saute for a minute.
- pour 2 cups water. season with salt. stir again.
- pressure cook the pulao on medium to high flame for 2 to 3 whistles. when the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid. gently fluff the pulao.
- serve methi pulao hot with plain curd or raita. i served with aloo raita.